DEPRESSION MARQUIS (2009, 2:23): The glass elevator at the luxurious hotel Marriott Marquis in New York rides down – the long ride ends in glacier ice. A metaphor for depressions which can affect people living in abundance.
ASCENSION (2004, 1:11): The glass elevator at the luxurious hotel Marriott Marquis in New York brings you to “heaven” … We are brought up and tought to strive for higher things – success, wealth, honour, and/or spiritual enlightenment. ASCENSION shows – in a brief and ironic way – this aspiration and its compensation.
In the video diptych or 2 channel installation, the elevator rides in opposite directions. Ascension is running twice during one presentation of Depression Marquis.
(Due to the web construction works, partly transitional links to the archive of Myriam Thyes.)
- Videolounge der Stiftung imai, Dusseldorf, Germany, since 2019
- Motion to Space, Milan, Italy, 2015
- Raumwelten (Worlds of Space), Museum Bärengasse, Zurich, Switzerland, 2013
- Enigma della modernità, Spazio Officina, Chiasso, Switzerland, 2012 (link to archive)
- Depict! Award, Brief Encounters Shortfilm Festival, Bristol, UK, 2005
- Work description, PDF (EN, 572 KB)
Shown in the following exhibitions
Raumwelten (link to archive)
Group ExhibitionMuseum BärengasseZurichSwitzerland08.02.2013 – 24.03.2013
Motion To Space (link to archive)
Group ExhibitionGalleria Milano + Istituto SvizzeroMilanItaly14.01.2015 – 15.02.2015
Videolounge of the imai foundation
Enigma della Modernità (link to archive)
Group ExhibitionSpazio OfficinaChiassoSwitzerland02.03.2012 – 05.04.2012